Friday, March 04, 2011

A Few of My Favorite Things...

My favorite things in Life...




Well, there is a whole list of things I could begin with.  You know the normal everyday things, or the normal everyday things...  Can you tell in my life are the "normal everyday things"?


Over Christmas, I was blessed with a plate set.  Currier and Ives, blue and white plate set!
And guess what else?  I was given my grandma's actual plates for my birthday from my mom!  They may be a bit chippy, but I love them and the memories along with them!


These plates and cups bring me such joy!  And the best part about it is that I know the Lord put it on the heart of one of His dear Daughters to give them to me!


I decorate all over the house with them.  And we use them.  My husband says he enjoys them so much, as do my children!


I have some Cheri Blum plates sets with roses on them.  And I love them.  But I bought them in a time of my life where I doubted who I was as a child of God, as a wife, as a mother, and as a friend!  Although I may still struggle with these same thoughts from time to time, I have been given a confidence in the Lord from the Lord in His Holy Word!


The reason these blue plates mean so much to me is that they bring back good memories from my childhood.  Times when I knew two things with all my heart.  


1.  Jesus loves me.


2.  My grandma loves me, no matter what.


You see, my grandma had a plate set of these Currier and Ives.  And we ate on them often.  And when I got older, I washed them for her.


I didn't live with my grandma, but I wished that I did!  She listened to me, she knew how to make me feel better, she made me feel safe!  Childhood can be a real shaper in your adult life.  I find I want the simple pleasures in life, like grandma!  I want to be gentle with my children, I want to listen to them, make them feel better, and make them feel safe!  Praise the Lord I have Jesus!  Because of Him we are all those things.


 When I was still a young girl, about age 7, we went on a trip with my grandma and her sister take her home to Chattsworth Georgia.  On the way up we stopped at a place called Day.  It is where my grandma was born and raised.  We visited a person  named Uncle Oliver.  He was a tobacco farmer.  I tramped all over his beautiful farm.  I was able to go in his silos, and in his vegetable garden.  But what I remember most is at breakfast he drank his coffee from a saucer!  Not a cup!  I thought it very strange.  So, I tried it too!  It cools off your coffee so you are able to sip better.


 Well, I found a poem the other day on a blog(wish I could remember it's name).  It is written by an anonymous person.  It is perfect for how I am feeling today.



Drinking From a Saucer

I have never made a fortune
and it's probably too late now,
I don't worry about that much,
I am happy anyhow.
As I go along life's journey,
reaping more than
I have sowed,
I am drinking from a saucer
cause my cup
has overflowed.
I don't have lots of riches
and sometimes the going's tough.
I have family that loves me and
that is quite enough.
I thank the Lord for his blessings
and his mercies he's bestowed.
I'm drinking from a saucer
because
my cup has overflowed.
I remember times when things
went wrong and
my faith got a little thin,
and then all at once the dark clouds
broke and the sun peeped in.
Lord, please help me not to gripe
about the tough rows I have hoed.
I am drinking from a saucer
because my cup has overflowed.
If God gives me
strength and courage
when my way grows
deep and tough,
I will not ask for blessings,
I'm already blessed enough.
May I never be too busy
to help another bear his load,
I will keep drinking from a saucer,
cause my cup has overflowed.

Author Unknown

It is a sweet poem and I am glad I found it.

I hope this post and poem has blessed your heart today.

"I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord." Psalms 116:13

2 comments:

Eva said...

So precious to have wonderful memories! Such a great responsibility to direct the creating of wonderful memories for our children. Can't wait to visit with you in Florida again and eat off those plates with you! Hopefully though you can come eat off ours first! Love you, Eva

Heather (JesusChick) said...

Awww love the poem :)